Annual Wellness Event draws nearly 1,000 Health Plan Participants
April 10, 2019 – On Tuesday April 9, 2019, participants of the Local 103, IBEW Health Benefit Plan proudly joined in support of the Greater Boston community, donating 187 units of blood to the American Red Cross at the 8th Annual Blood Drive and Wellness Event, sponsored the Local 103 IBEW Health Benefit Plan. This year’s blood donations will save more than 560 lives, according to the Red Cross.
This Blood Drive is the second largest single day blood drive in Eastern Massachusetts. It is second only to the Day of Remembrance Blood Drive which takes place at Fenway Park on 9/11.
“We are very grateful for the generosity of Local 103 members, Health Plan participants, and the local community for helping make the 2019 Wellness Event so successful for so many years,” said Kaitlyn Gambino-Sherman, RN, Wellness Coordinator for the Health Plan’s Wellness Program. “We would like to thank the many first-time donors who came out to support their community.”
Special appreciation goes to each of the health care providers and wellness organizations who participated in this year’s event. Through their dedication and involvement, our participants learned more about their own health and the Local 103 Health Benefit Plan, as well as being provided important information related to daily healthy living. Complimentary diagnostic exams and health screenings were provided to more of the Health Plan participants than in any prior year. Participating health and wellness organizations and the related services they provided, included:
- The American Red Cross – Blood Donations
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts – Biometric Screening, Blood Pressure,
- Blood Sugar and BMI
- Davis Vision – Vision Screenings
- Delta Dental – The Plan’s dental network provider
- Friend Acupuncture – Acupuncture
- Hearing Specialists of New England, LLC – Hearing Screenings
- Kettlebell Kitchen – Healthy Food Samples
- Modern Assistance Program – Employee Assistance Program
- Novo Nordisk – Diabetes Education
- South Shore Smiles – Oral Mouth Exams
- Wellness Concepts, Inc. – Aromatherapy/Stress Relief, Chair Massage, Healthy Smoothie Demonstration, Meditation, Nutrition Awareness & Education, Reflexology, Reiki, and Resting Metabolic Rate Testing
This year’s Wellness Event was among the most well-attended in event history, as hundreds of Health Plan participants took advantage of a broad array of the health screenings. Participants interacted with all of the health and wellness vendors, according to Gambino-Sherman. Massage, reflexology, resting metabolic rate, and the nutrition awareness stations were among the most frequented.
The Local 103 IBEW Health Benefit Plan wishes to thank all who participated and contributed to the success of this year’s Blood Drive and Wellness event.